ORTOM BANS REVENUE CONSULTANCY AT BIRS
By Jimin Geoffrey
Governor Samuel Ortom has banned consultancy services for the purpose of revenue collection at the Benue State Board of Internal Revenue Service, BIRS, saying the practice only made consultants smile to the Bank at the expense of government.
The Governor stated that instead, graduates would be employed to help collect revenues on behalf of government, thereby providing job opportunities to a reasonable number of youths.
He spoke yesterday during the swearing in and inauguration ceremonies of Special Advisers as well as Chairman and Members of the State Universal Basic Education Board, SUBEB respectively.
3 Bag 8 Months for Extortion in Benue As BIRS explains termination of contracts
Governor Ortom stated that consultants only remitted 10 percent of revenues collected to government and kept the remaining 90 percent, pointing out that the practice would not be allowed to continue.
He stated that the BIRS would also be supported to go after illegal revenue checkpoints in order to relief farmers and business men and women from paying too much tax as they transport their goods and services